Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Tan Square



Hello! It feels like a while since I have blogged. I apologize, I been feeling a bit guilty.

Funny enough it was my boyfriend who inspired me to bake today. He isn't one for requesting particular baking, let alone any, so when he asked if I could make him some Tan Square, I got a wee bit excited.

You would think that somewhere among my copious amount of cooking books I would find a recipe for Tan square/slice. Well I didn't. I was a little amazed at this, but I simply learned that I don't have enough cook books... I reverted to a recipe on the internet. Internet is handy like that.

Luckily for me (and my boyfriend) the recipe produced a fine Tan Square (if I don't say so myself). The base was light and fluffy with a fudgy texture, which added to the gooey caramel topping and crumbled chocolate mixture on top - sounds pretty good huh? It was.

Tan Square:

BASE:

250g butter
1/2 cup sugar
Vanilla Essence
4 cup flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips

The how-to:

Soften the butter, then add sugar and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in flour. Grease a 23cm tin and spoon 2/3 of the mixture, pressing down to flatten.


Add the chocolate chips to the remaining mixture, then place in fridge.


TOPPING:


(What a glorious sight. At home in my parents fridge, you will often find an open can of this sitting there, and usually my dad too, with a spoon in hand)

1 can of condensed milk
3 Tablespoons of golden syrup
60g butter, diced

The how-to:

Place ingredients in a saucepan. Turn heat on low and stir until butter is melted and ingredients are well combined.


Pour it over onto the prepared base


Crumble the remaining mixture on top and bake for 20-25 minutes.


Cool completely before cutting into squares


6 comments:

  1. Okay woooooowww... This looks absolutely AMAZING. Very very excited to make Tan Slice in the future! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finished product looks very appetizing. This is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks delicious but I don't think I've ever seen it before- thanks for the great introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it might be a Kiwi (New Zealand) favourite. It's definitely worth a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tan Square is a kiwi favourite - from way back. The only thing that I would change is 2 teaspoons of baking powder to the flour on sifting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What temprature do you bake the slice??

    ReplyDelete