Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2009

I scream for Ice Cream


I do like my ice cream.

Fortunately for me we had a whole heap of cream and berries left over from christmas day. What better way to use them than for ice cream hmm?

I've actually never made ice cream before so wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. However, cooking is all about experimenting and learning I feel, so I was up for the challenge.

All the recipes I found were for ice cream making machines and I don't have one so decided to improvise. After all, ice cream has been around much longer than home ice cream makers!

Here's the recipe for those of you who'd like to try making their own too (it's actually not that much of a challenge at all):

Ingredients

2 cup strawberries, hulled and halved
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla essence


The how-to:

Put the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor. Process until nearly pureed, leaving some strawberry chunks. Pour into bowl, refridgerate.



In a saucepan, beat egg yolks. Add mik, remaining sugar and place on medium heat just to boiling point. Do not let boil.



Transfer egg mixture to a bowl and leave to cool in the fridge. Once cool, add cream, vanilla essence and strawberry mixture. Mix to combine.

Cover with gladwrap then place in freezer. After about half an hour, the ice cream should have ideally frozen a bit around the edges. At this stage whisk to dislodge ice crystals and to make creamy once again.

Repeat this step after half an hour and one more time after that. Over all you will have beaten the ice cream three times. Put the ice cream back in the freezer until it is ready to eat.


Real fruit ice cream is my outmost favourite ice cream. So you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I had my first taste to find that it tasted EXACTLY like the real fruit ice cream you buy from PYO berry orchards. Delish. You could substitute strawberries for any fruit.

There are STILL more strawberries and cream left, so I think I might be making more ice cream...

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Looks soooo good! I love PYO fruit ice creams! I got a blender for Christmas, so will defiantly have to try... YUM!

    ReplyDelete