Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pumpkin and a whole lot of pie


So this was a pie that resulted from my indecisive nature. I wanted pie and cheesecake and couldn't decide between the two, so decided to merge them. It didn't go too horribly wrong but it did turn out a little unexpectedly...

I based the pie/cheesecake using a recipe from AWW: Bake, combined with a cheesecake base, then to top it off I created a wee concoction of nuts, chocolate and sugar as a scrummy topping. Confused? Here's the how to:

Made the Crust/base: 
1 packet of plain biscuits (I used Malt) 
250g Butter, melted

- Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius. Process together in a food processor. Press into a tin/dish of desired size. 


Refrigerate while you make the filling.


Make the filling:
2 eggs
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch ground allspice

1. Beat eggs, sugar, maple syrup in a small bowl with an electric beater until thick. Stir in pumpkin, milk and spices. Once base has set pour in the filling.


Place in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. 

While this is in the oven combine the topping:
1 cup nuts, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 Tbsp maple syrup


Combine ingredients and mix together.
After 20 minutes, sprinkle this topping over the pie. Cook for a further 25-30 minutes or until cooked. You may find you need to place some tin foil over the pie to prevent nuts from burning.


So there you have it: Pumpkin pie/cheesecake. Though I think it's more of a pie. Would you agree?
I was surprised to see that the base swelled considerably, giving a thick edge instead of a thin one as most cheesecakes have. Not too sure why this was. Maybe I'll need to make it again. Maybe you should make it and tell me how yours turns out?

I am sure, however, that it was super tasty. I think I will make again. Its very morish so if you do decide to make it too, be warned...

As for the next pumpkin recipe, I no longer have any pumpkin to use! This pie used up most of what was left and then my flat mate used the remaining bit in a yummy roast vege and couscous salad. Sorry I don't have any pictures of that to show you, but I can assure you, your pumpkin won't be wasted on such things. 

So there we have it. Five ways with a pumpkin. Now you have a few pumpkin recipes under your belt for the next time you arrive home from the supermarket holding a pumpkin. 

Yum. Thanks pumpky for delivering deliciousness every time. Now what? 

No comments:

Post a Comment